Friday, June 11, 2010

The Perfect Pie

Ok, I'll admit it...I have a very large sweet tooth!  I try to limit the sugar, but sometimes I just can't help myself.


Enter the perfect pie! Making a good pie can be a challenge. I figured there had to be some secret that I just didn't know about.  Determined to figure it out, I went straight to my favourite recipe site allrecipes.com to find out what the secret was.  What I found was there's actually more than one secret to the perfect pie and you can find them all right here.  One of the most important secrets is to "handle" the dough as little as possible and keep everything chilled...cold utensils, cold ingredients etc. 


With rhubard growing in the garden, I decided to go for it.  I decided to attempt to make the perfect pie.  I used this recipe for the crust but used half butter and half shortening instead of just shortening.  For the filling I used a mixture of rhubarb and apple. 



This was the best pie I've ever made!  My family agreed.  They licked their plates clean, literally and even ate their crust, a sure sign of a winner!   

1 comment: